Mewsings from Lowecat (aka Indianacat)

My rants, ravings, and overall 'mewsings' on life, the universe, and everything.

Friday, August 09, 2013

Sadly Makin' Decisions

The last couple of days have been emotionally difficult, not just because of the kerfluffle on my blog and fanfiction.net about my SOA fanfic.  It's because of havin' to make decisions about what to do with Daddy's possessions.  This has been an ongoin' thing since he died last May, but this week, it cranked into a new gear.

This was the week that his study and the library were cleared.  We now have his desk, several bookcases, the barrister bookcase that is at least as old as I am, and a few other boxes of items.  And Daddy's recliner.  Maybe sittin' in it from time to time will give me a wee bit of comfort.  He slept a lot in that recliner. 

But there was a lot of ministerial things - books, study guides, bibles, hymnals - that I just don't have room to keep.  My brother, who now owns Daddy's house, doesn't have need of them, and wants the space clear to set up housekeepin'.  That's right and good.

It's painful to divvy up a person's life.  The study guides, conference journals, hymnals, Bibles, and the like found a new home with a new church in Washington.  Daddy's religious themed video tapes and DVDs also went there.  The church is starting up a library, so the items were welcomed by that minister. 

The nursing home where my step - mother now lives received three boxes of books of poetry (with pictures), a board game (for the more active residents), and several fiction books for their library.  Unfortunately, they couldn't use the vast quantities of six hour video tapes with movies on them.  These are not the type of videos one can resell to a place like Half Price Books or even donate to a library.  Not with three movies apiece on them!  Some I'm sure my big brother will watch when he has time. 

I took several boxes and bags of interestin' magazines, video tapes, and books to HPB (see above), includin' several first edition books.  I got $2 for the whole kiti and kaboodle.  No other place was willin' to even LOOK at the books, even the first editions.  At least they'll eventually find a good home. 

The last of Daddy's suits, ties, and other clothing will be donated to KY Mountain Mission, as that is a United Methodist based charity.  I've offered things to other family members, which they've accepted, but it's still difficult. 

So much, however, has had to go to recyclin', as in shreddin'.  Old bulletins, outdated study manuals, tax papers from decades ago.  It breaks my heart to do so, but it's got to be done.  I think he kept all the sermons and bulletins for record keepin' purposes.  There's a lot of history there, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone but myself.  I've already been in contact with the churches involved, and they have no storage page for same.  The directories he wrote and printed, yes.  The bulletins, no.

Some of his sermons, if I can get it figured out from his method of writin' sermons (which was an outline and not word for word), might make a good book, if sermons are still bein' printed in book form.  It's a project to look forward to, whether there's a market or not.  Maybe it'll come in handy for other ministers just startin' out.

It's ironic, as my step - mother often fussed about the amount of 'things' Daddy had, and how she hoped she'd never have to make decisions about it if he passed before her. 

After a year and a quarter, it's time to get these decisions past.  The house has a new life with my brother, and that's a good thing.  Is it bad that a part of me wishes it weren't necessary?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear - I totally missed the fanfic kerfuffle. (For some reason that seems to be would of my new fave words. Sounds more fun than clusterf**k, I suppose)

As for clearing out your dad's house for a new life, it's not bad Myra that you wish it were unnecessary. It's completely normal. You're still grieving and in some ways you always will be.

This is isn't something that you get over, it's something you live with. Like an ache that stays and you get used to it. It's not as fresh as the first time it hit, but still a part of your heart is gone

I'm sorry you have to be the one to take on that great big burden of clearing out and organizing everything.

[HUG]

August 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home