Mewsings from Lowecat (aka Indianacat)

My rants, ravings, and overall 'mewsings' on life, the universe, and everything.

Friday, November 18, 2011

An Open Letter to Internet Bullies






Dear Cyber Bullies;


The internet and the social networks never cease to amaze me. Bullies who once hung around the restrooms and hallways now lurk message boards to cause all manner of trouble for people - young, old, male, female, black, white, gay, straight - and anything else they don't like.


Like settlers crossin' the prairie in days of old, they call their 'friends' to circle the wagons protectively around them while they spew their vicious little bits of poison that usually hold as much water as a leaky sieve at their chosen victim. Doesn't matter if the things they state are true or not, just get it out there and make their victim squirm, that's all that matters.


What should be worked out by grown adults in private email gets blown all over the world wide web, with people takin' sides and addin' their own fuel to the fire. Lies become bigger, bashes get nastier, and people get hurt.


It seems that fan groups, be the groups exist for a television show, movie, book, or music, are fertile breeding grounds for such vile creatures. I've been seein' it happen to a very dear friend of mine, and it's gotten past the point of harassment to downright evil.


This particular friend of mine has worked very hard at something she loves to keep people informed about a certain show we both enjoy. We share the love of this show with hundreds of thousand of others. This woman originally started a fan club of sorts for an actor who is on the show. From that fan club venture grew into an internet message board/forum and several facebook fan appreciation pages.


Because of this woman's hard work, the actors and producers of this show have chosen - of their own free will - to bestow autographs, posters, and other items related to the show. They have sent her good wishes - again of their own free will - that she has shared with friends. She's not done this to rub the 'have not's ' faces in her good luck, but to share the love from these people.


The majority of us, though a trifle envious, have been happy for her. I can grok that joy havin' just experienced being selected by the showrunner/Executive Producer/Creator of the show to meet him, preview the 11th episode of the season before it aired, and record a YouTube question and answer segment with him and the other winner (more on that in a minute).


Sometime earlier this year, this lady and another lady got into some kind of misunderstanding. Feelings were hurt, and instead of things being kept private, the disagreement went public. Sides started to get taken, accusations were made, gossip got carried around, innocent people got hurt. It spread like wildfire from one page to another page to another and then to other social networking sites.


Now, this fantastic lady is considerin' bowin' to the pressure of all the hate bein' heaped on her, and lettin' the asshats win. She's considerin' shuttin' down all her pages, among other things. Several of us, including both of the winners of the viewer challenge, are tryin' to talk her out of doin' this. But she's hurt, and I can't blame her for feelin' that way. When people make accusations that they cannot or will not back up with proof when demanded, things have gone way out of line.


Hell, the other winner and myself have been subjected to negative comments about our backgrounds and looks on the YouTube Segment. There have been many positive comments, but the negativity is simple pea - green jealousy because we were picked, and the haters don't feel we make the best representation of the fan base.


Fortunately, the EP/Creator/showrunner didn't demand pics up front from the winners before he brought us out to LA. He accepted us as is, warts and all. Thank Gawd for that. All you have to do is look at his face on that segment. Does he look like he's thinkin' "I can't wait to get the hell away from these two?"

When it comes to bein' made fun of and bullied, that's somethin' I've endured all my life. I can pretty well handle it, and while hate confrontations, won't hesitate to fight for what I believe is right.Both of us who won have lambasted the haters on You Tube. One has actually had the balls enough to apologize for their comments. That's what a grown adult should do.


What's goin' on lately with this young wife, mother, and fan is NOT right. It needs to stop. It needs to stop now.

The other side can justify their actions to their heart's content. I've heard all the excuses. It's time to quit addin' fuel to the fire and walk away from the disagreement. Just give it up and go find something else to do. Bury the frackin' hatchet and leave it buried.


End of line.



5 Comments:

Blogger Louigie said...

Once again well said!!! I love ur mewsings!! Keep up the fantastic work!
You were brilliant on the special edition questions; was I jealous you got to meet him? Hell yeah I was! Was I happy for you?? Double hell yeah I was/am!!! You deserve that special visit after all the hard work you do! Good on ya lowecat :)

November 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Dawn M. said...

I absolutely agree with you! I, too am a fan and love her for all that she does. You have hit the nail on the head with this wonderful posting. Nicely done, and well said. Applaud Applaud. Bullying is wrong in any way shape or form.

November 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Urno Talbot said...

Myra that was wonderful, you said a lot and without any vitriol. It's so much better to ignore or laugh at these people, the illiterate posts are unintentionally funny. Today I had some good laughs just reading them but they were still hurtful to the person who received them. For me to care about someone's opinion, I'd have to respect them in some fashion. How could anyone who says "fr me bitch" get my respect or attention? Oh the crazy 'net!
Take care-Binky.

November 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just began reading your blog a few days ago and now I look forward to a new blog each time I log on.

Lowecat your blogs are incredible. Well written, well presented and just damn good!

I wish I had the talent to write like you do. I have been following you on Twitter from sometime.

The blogs you have posted this week are so true and I thank you for sharing your honest thoughts with all of us.

Congratulations on your trip and you looked awesome on the video. You were so calm and relaxed. I would of been a nervous wreck.

Keep on blogging!

November 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger HarleyGurl the Oily Addict said...

I agree with all previous comments. You ROCK Myra! I tried my best to stay a "neutral party" to the mess that filled our beloved fan pages, but you can only ignore so much.

After being removed without knowledge or reason from a specific VIP Chat group, *I* took it personally. Especially when no one would respond to my inquiries to WHY I was removed. After several attempts to contact the creator/Admin, with no response.. I THEN took it upon myself to REMOVE MYSELF from any other associated groups/pages I was a member of.

I love & admire our beloved TL, as do many! Prior to this huge mess she endured "haters" & BS because of jealousy all the time. I can understand her frustration and hurt for wanting to "screw it all", I just hope that doesn't happen!

The creator & cast of this amazing show do their best to keep in contact with their fans, but TL is the TRUE LINK between us & them. Thank you for your kind words in this well written blog!

Oh yeah.. and about your TRIP!! :) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I HATE U!
j/k.. I'm so happy for you, & extremely jealous! LOVED the Q&A time you had w/Kurt. I want to know MORE! :)

Sincerely,

THIS BITCH OWNS HER OWN BIKE <3

November 19, 2011 at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home